So right now, I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. I know I’m not the only one, but this whole self-publishing thing….
So where am I right now? I’m at the beginning. The Red Dress is finished, but now I starting to figure out what I need to do beyond that. So as I judge things, I’m smack dab in the middle of the beginning. Thankfully, there are a few people that I’ve talked to who’ve given me some idea of where I need to go and what I need to do (I’m looking at you Rachael). Thanks to them, I have a rough list of need to do.
It follows (and not necessarily in this order):
- Buy ISBNs
- Set up publishing imprints for both ebooks and traditional print
- Set up ebooks for both Amazon and other e-retailers
- Finish prepping my cover (I may need to rework what I’ve already done)
- Get all the copyright and title page and the usual interior stuff completed.
- Set up marketing opportunities
- Find reviewers for The Red Dress (I have no idea where to start that)
- Ask and join in Author interviews to promote the book
- Cry a little.
Wow. That seems like a lot to me. It feels like there’s even more that I’ve missed. But if you ask me, #9 might be repeated a few times.
So where do I go from here? If I’m being honest, I have very little clue. There are a few sources that I am hoping to use to help me out. So I am left with questions.
- Where do I find people willing to help me market my book?
- Where do I find reviewers?
- How far out should I start giving glimpses?
- How can I cry a little and not lose face to my wife?
Important questions, each and every one. Plus, I know there are more. The more you know, the more questions you have.
But I know I’ll figure it out in the end. I need to stay positive if I want to get anywhere. Stay positive and work hard. Both of those are very do-able.
Maybe this is a small plea for help. If anyone has anything they’d like to say or add to help me out, please speak up. Normally, I love to hear from you, but it goes double in this case. So, if you are interested in helping me out or have any advice, please let me know in the comments below.
Either way, I know I will figure this out in the end. Confidence, right?